Sunday, February 17, 2013

Warlord Games French Infantry painted (FINALLY)!


As I promised two weeks ago, I’ve painted up four of the Fusiliers as Italian 3rd regiment. I would’ve posted sooner, but my Lovely Wife’s Birthday consumed most of my free time (no regrets) and real life (work, seminar, etc.) inevitably interrupted my painting schedule. Thankfully I was able to get in a game of “Runebound” with my BFF CPBELT (holla, holla)(his blog: A League of Ordinary Gamers) and his son Jeremeister! We had a BLAST!! As usual Jeremeister won (grumble, grumble) LOL!

Block painted

Block painted
 
 
After the brushed on Magic dip

After the brushed on Magic dip


This week I’ve had time to paint these four figures. I’ve added photos showing the figures with their block paint job and photos showing them after the Magic dip was brushed on.

White uniforms used to be a challenge for me until I took Pictors Studio’s advice and made one of the best hobby purchases in years! I bought the brilliant white and various gray colors (amongst others) from Cel-Vinyl (and yep, I wrote various grays). For white uniforms I use gray-3 for the base and gray-1 and brilliant white for the highlights. I use gray-7 for the rolled greatcoat.

When I decided to paint the 3rd, I realized that the green color I needed for the lapels and piping would be a problem. I can never tell what shades of colors I’m looking at when they’re inside those little Vallejo Model Colors eye dropper bottles!! I can’t stand wasting paint, so it bugs me when I have to put a drop on a pallet to figure out which one to us.

I decided to ask on TMP about the green color that the 3rd would’ve used and I received a couple of useful suggestions. Strangely enough the VMC Russian green (894) and the Catachan green came out to look about the same when I compared them!! Since VMC are cheaper, I went with it. The red for the collar and cuff slashes is Red (926). The brown I use for the back-pack is VMC Beige Brown (875) and Flat Brown (984) for the musket and bayonet scabbard. For the metal I use Brass (801), Silver (997) and Gunmetal Grey (863). The pom-pom on the shako is Deep Sky Blue (844).

I’ve used Medium Flesh (860) for these figures, as I was going to do a Magic dip with GW black ink, so I would highlight the flesh after the dip dried. I mixed the Medium Flesh with Light Flesh (928) for more pronounced highlights.

Sometimes I’ll use Black Grey (862) to highlight black, but I’ve decided to forego that highlight and leave them to the ambient light.
 

The finished figures!

I found these figures very brush friendly and with crisp details. Unfortunately my painting skills were put to the test as I had to rush through a few things (like the piping) on them, but the figures were kind to my limitations. The facial features are very good. There’s a nice variety of them and, if you’re like me and don’t paint eyes, they’ll still look realistic.

If you’re looking for full dress French Infantry in plastic you can’t go wrong with these figures (granted, they’re the ONLY full dress French Infantry in plastic, but they can be used for other French allied armies). I hope you’ve found this review useful to you.

My next review will be Blue Moon’s 18mm Napoleonic 1812 Russian Musketeers. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment